STUDENT SERVICE DIRECTORATE
Debre Tabor University is one of the 3rd generation universities which has its own vision, mission and values.
Debre Tabor University tries hard to become one of the icons of quality education and nationwide reputable universities of Ethiopia in 2020.
Debre Tabor University aspires to generate self-reliant, competent, problem solving, research oriented, and innovative transformation agents who can actively participate in the teaching learning, research doing and community services that basically enhance the technological advancement of the society as a whole.
Debre Tabor University pays attention to the following Values.
- Customer first
- Cutting edge research
- Escalating success
- Team spirit
- Promoting commitment
- Change agent
- Self –reliance
- High moral and ethical standard
- Innovative, sense of responsible citizenship
Students’ service directorate, which is one of the directorates in Debre Tabor University, has six service sections. These are: the students’ cafeteria, the students’ health service, the students’ dormitory service, the guidance and counseling service, the sport and recreation service and discipline and clubs service. As this directorate aims at satisfying students in serving and delivering their basic requirements, the following are its duties and responsibilities in general and of each section in particular.
- Students’ Cafeteria
Currently, our cafeteria is serving 7283 students excluding non-cafes. To serve all these students, we have a total of 356 workers. Specifically we have 327 outsource workers (80 male and 247), and 29 permanent workers (13 male and 16 female). The specific services given at students’ cafeteria are:
- Food preparation,
- Food service
- The machines.
Furthermore, to deliver fast food service to our students, we have different machines used for food preparation.
Generally, the students’ cafeteria as one of the section in the directorate creates a good job opportunity for unemployed individuals and is attempting to minimize unemployment rate.
- Students’ Dormitory Service
Currently, the students’ dormitory service section is delivering a dormitory service for 8793 students excluding those living out of the campus. To facilitate the required dormitory service for the customers, there are 109 workers (43 males and 66 females).
The duties and responsibilities of this section are:
- Offering neat and suitable bed
- Following up and inspecting handling of administrative properties
- Inspecting the students’ peace and security
The arrangement of the ratio of dormitory and students is 1:4(one dorm for four students).
- Students’ Health Service
This section is playing a great role in creating healthy and academically effective students by performing what is expected of it.
Particularly, the duties and responsibilities of this department are listed as follows.
- Examining patients/Laboratory examination
- offering medicines/tablets
- Injecting and treating wounded patients
- Giving Surgery services
- Ambulance services
- Referral service
In addition to executing the above tasks, the department is responsible for:
- Following up sanitation of water
- Following up and inspecting teachers’, administrative workers’ and students lounges concerning sanitation
- Keeping the attractiveness/ beauty of the university
- Following up and inspecting the students’ dormitory hygiene
Generally, to perform the above duties and responsibilities effectively, thehas a total of 18 workers (2 female and 16 male)___ 2 health officers, 3 clinical nurses, 3 laboratory technicians, 2 pharmacy technicians,1 pharmacy store man, 1 environmental health service officer, 2 card service workers and 2 ambulance drivers.
- Sport and Recreation Service
This department has one expert and has the following duties and responsibilities.
- Allowing students to make sport competitions at department and faculty level
- Making students to get DSTV service
- Allowing students participate in different sport festivals of Universities through identifying and giving them training
- Introducing and expanding out game and endo game means of increasing entertainment alternatives/possibilities for students
- Discipline and clubs service
The duties and responsibilities of this section are:
- Creating awareness for students regarding discipline cases,
- Arbitrating discipline cases of the students who did something wrong
- Allowing and creating any opportunity for students participate in different clubs via fulfilling the basic facilities
- Permitting the head of each club to develop ground rules and letting him/her to present it
- Making decision on serious discipline cases in cooperation with discipline committee
- Being the part of celebrations celebrated by the university
- Guidance and Counseling service
The general role undertaken by the counselors’/ experts is guiding and counseling students when they face academic and personal/social challenges, and making them academically effective throughout their stay in the institution.
Specifically, this section is responsible for undertaking the following tasks.
- Promote & advocate Guidance & Counseling service for all students by using different mechanisms.
- Deliver prevention/proactive, and developmental/empower/enrich based individual Guidance & counseling intervention service in response to student requests in specific settings and conduct structured goal-oriented counseling sessions in systematic response to identified needs of groups of students. Themes include academic skill building, social skill development, career awareness, conflict resolution, family issues and making healthy choices.
- Consult and collaborate with teachers, academic, & administrative staffs in understanding and meeting the needs of students in the campus setting and strengthening service referral linkage.
- Make appropriate referrals of students within service center experts and to other concerned professional campus teachers.
- Provide appropriate evidence for those beneficiary client students based on the service.
- Participate in expertise obligation of students’ disciplinary issue decision making and selection of economic support beneficiary students.
- Participate in activities that contribute to effective operation of the university; capacitate & strengthen volunteer lay counselor & counseling agent students.
- Use data to document the results of strategies and interventions that are used to improve students’ academic performance.
All in all, the students’ service directorate has director, vice director, a team coordinator, 356 cafeteria workers, 18 health workers, 109 dormitory service workers, 2 guidance and counseling service experts, one sport and entertainment department expert, one discipline and clubs service expert and three secretaries; totally there are 490 workers including outsource workers in the directorate.