Background of Technology Faculty
Settled in the historical town of Debre Tabor near to just mountain Guna, Debre tabor university Technology faculty offering higher education in the field of engineering and technologies since its establishment under Debre Tabor university .At present, we are training about 4800 undergraduate students in seven in regular programs and about 1200 undergraduate students in 5 in extensionprograms. We do have 20 wellequipped laboratories required for practical teaching and to deliver different technical support.
Our teaching learning and research becomes more practical oriented and custom-made to solve the industry and community based technology challenges.
The faculty teaching-learning, research and community service activity is supported by young highly motivated 150 teachers, more than 30 technical assistants.
Debre Tabor University tries hard to become one of the icons of quality education and nationwide reputable universities of Ethiopia in 2020.
DTU aspires to generate self reliant, competent, problem solving, research-oriented and innovative transformation agents who can actively participation the teaching-learning, research doing and community services that basically enhance the technological advancement of the society as a whole.
Debre Tabor University Technology Faculty upholds, Customer first, Quality-oriented, Doing cutting edge research, Escalating success, Team Spirit, Promoting commitment, Change agent, Self reliance, High moral and ethical standard, Innovative and sense of responsible citizenship as its core values. With these in mind, it at the same time toils for:
- Academic excellence –engaging students and faculty members in knowledge and dissemination of innovations that transform the society. We will continually identify opportunities for learning and benchmarking best practices to excelling in its mission
- Professionalism- operating with the highest possible standards of professionalism and seeks to provide high-quality education, research and consultancy as efficiently as possible
- Social responsibility-striving to reach its full potential in order to fulfill its social responsibility through the active participation of its students and staff in community development activities and public services that bring about positive changes and contributing to social transformation
Debre tabor university, technology faculty aspires to play its role in academic excellence setting standards in quality and productivity of applied sciences and engineering education, research, innovation and business incubation.
Regular programs Offered in Debre Tabor University-Technology Faculty are:
- Chemical engineering
- Civil engineering
- Computer science
- Electrical and computer engineering
- Hydraulics and water resource engineering
- Information technology and
- Mechanical engineering.
In extension program, Debre Tabor University-Technology Faculty offers:
- Civil engineering
- Computer science
- Electrical and computer engineering
- Electro – mechanical engineering
- Information technology
Students association in the faculty
- Ethiopian civil engineering students association Debre Tabor local unit
- Mechanical Engineering Innovation Club
- Science And Technology Innovation Club
Offices found in Technology Faculty to smoothly run all its activities are:
- Faculty Dean Office
- Faculty Vice Dean and Pre Engineering Coordinator Office
- University Industry Linkage and Technology Transfer Office
- Department Heads
- Educational Development Office
- Chemical Engineering
Chemical Engineering is an extremely broad and dynamic field of study with constantly emerging technologies which profoundly affect our lives. Hence, the program, aims at addressing the economical, industrial, medical, technological and other needs and demands of the society. The department of Chemical engineering is the nucleus of research and development in the areas of chemical processing industries. Research Development in chemical engineering encompasses product and process development of various chemicals, petrochemicals, plastics, pharmaceuticals and other medicines, agrochemicals, processed foods, energy (fuels, nuclear energy, others), pulp and paper, beverages, cement, ceramics, and many others. It is the chemical engineer who is responsible for conceiving (product, process, and equipment), designing, operating, controlling, optimizing, and improving (modifying and modernizing) the industries that produce the aforementioned products and myriads of others: the conception, creation (design), operation, control, optimization, and improvement of the processing and related industries. Research and development methods for minimizing the generation of air, liquid and solid wastes, and treating existing wastes, design waste treatment and pollution control equipment and also advise industry and government regarding environmental policies and standards. The instruction at the undergraduate level, therefore, will aim at providing the students a broad-based education with emphasis on theory and practice of Chemical Engineering keeping in views the current and future requirements of the country in industry.
For all intents and purposes of Chemical Engineering profession, Debre Tabor University has begun the program in 2005 E.C.
The educational requirement for Bachelor’s degree in Chemical engineering or its area of specialization is a minimum of five –years.
All individuals working in these areas must have at least a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. Graduates in chemical engineering from accredited institutions are eligible to work as chemical engineers. Nowadays, additional criteria such as experience, results of professional tests, and specializations are used for granting licenses to become professional chemical engineers.
Practical experience is a direct and structured activity required to engage in Chemical Engineering during higher education and/ or following receipt of a professional degree prior to registration / licensing / certification. During the study time, the student should have a practical exposure in the chemical and process industries (e.g. textile, leather and tannery, food, beverage, pharmaceuticals, etc) either in the form of practical attachment or internship. Moreover, a common platform should be created between the university and industry in the form of Research and Consultancy services. The government and private organizations should facilitate the linkage between universities and the industries. In fact, required competency for the outcome of excellence is achieved by adding experience to the educational components of a student’s learning. Experience is essential; experience coupled with formal education is very much valuable.
Chemical Engineers are involved in all kinds of industries namely food and drink, pharmaceuticals, energy, oil and gas, water, chemicals, materials such as plastics, metals and ceramics as well as products such as toiletries, fertilizers and detergents. Chemical Engineers are also involved in assessing health, safety and environmental issues including the growing field of recycling and cleaner production, manufacture of life-saving vaccines and managing projects for the treatment of wastewater. Chemical Engineers use the modern information technology extensively to process development, design and solve industrial problems using sophisticated simulation software to reproduce the processes.
The following are the core services of chemical engineers
- Conducting economic and technical feasibility studies in different fields of chemical and other process industries,
- Modeling for process selection, design and evaluation, to develop appropriate computer programs,
- Designing, testing and commissioning (chemical) process and associated equipments and plants;
- Managing trouble-shoots and solving problems to optimize the production processes;
- Overseeing the construction, modification, operation and maintenance of pilot plants, processing units or processing plants;
- Advising management regarding the layout of industrial plants;
- Acting as liaison between plant engineering personnel and equipment suppliers; preparing quotations and technical documents, coordinating the industrial construction projects;
- Ensuring efficient, optimum, safe and environmentally responsible plant operation; establishing and conducting quality control programs; operating and assessment procedures and control strategies to ensure consistency and adhere to standards;
- Advising industry and governmental bodies regarding environmental policies and standards;
- Working in multidisciplinary environment as well as – especially under the conditions of globalization-in international cooperation or business;
- Participating in research and development activities;
- Working in sustainable energy technologies and energy optimization systems; etc.
The department has three chairs starting from 2006; namely
- Process engineering
- Environmental and Energy engineering
- Biochemical and food engineering
Bachelor of Science in chemical engineering (undergraduate regular)
Labs or facilities available
- Process control
- Analytical chemistry
- Organic chemistry
- Inorganic chemistry
- Heat and mass transfer laboratory
- Mechanical unit operation laboratory will start in 2009 E.C
- Chemical reaction Engineering laboratory will start in 2009 E.C
- Environmental Engineering laboratory will start in 2009 E.C
- Computer lab rooms
Students statistics in Undergraduateregular program
|Year – I||Year – II||Year – III||Year –IV|
- Civil Engineering
The mission of Civil Engineering department is to provide high quality civil engineering education and training, to undertake basic and applied research focusing on local problems while maintaining international standards, and to render professional services for national development
The objectives of civil engineering department are to prepare students for
- Excellence in engineering decision-making and design
- Leadership careers in engineering practice
- Graduate professional engineering education
- research in engineering
- Diverse and alternative career choices
- This program is aimed at training manpower required for the realization of the country’s untouched civil engineering works. Well qualified civil engineers with adequate knowledge in the area of structural, highway, geotechnical and water resources and who can be actively engaged in the planning, development and management of civil engineering projects will be produced through this program. Specifically, the trainees will be equipped with the knowledge that enables them to execute the following tasks
- Undertake project identification, pre-feasibility and feasibility study and detail design of civil engineering works
- Prepare complete contract documents and terms of references for civil engineering projects
- Plan, manage, monitor and evaluate the operation and maintenance of civil engineering works; and
- Remodel and rehabilitate of existing civil engineering works
- Professional civil engineers need a good grasp of mathematics and design, and the ability to manage and liaise with a wide variety of people. They need to be able to think in all dimensions and communicate ideas effectively. This kind of engineering is suited to people who are practical with a creative characteristic. Hence, the graduate from the Civil Engineering Department has the following profile
- The ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science in a specialized area related to civil engineering
- The ability to design and conduct laboratory experiments, to critically analyze and interpret data, in major Civil Engineering areas such as , Structural, Geotechnical, Transportation, Water resources, Construction Technology and Management, and Environmental Engineering
- The ability to analyze and design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical health and safety, constructability, and sustainability in selected major Civil Engineering areas such as Structural, Geotechnical, Transportation, Water resources, Construction Technology and Management, and Environmental Engineering
- The ability to function in multidisciplinary teams
- The ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing
- The ability to identify, formulate and solve Civil Engineering problems in recognized major civil engineering areas
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities of civil engineers in relation to public and private institutions and in the context of Civil Engineering infrastructure systems
- Recognizing the need for professional licensure and life-long learning
- Knowledge of contemporary issue
- The ability to use the techniques, skills, modern engineering tools and software necessary in selected major Civil Engineering areas, such as Structural, Geotechnical, Transportation, Water resources, Construction Technology and Management, and Environmental Engineering
- An understanding of professional practice issues such as project management and interactions between the development, design, and construction professions
- An understanding of business and public policy and administration fundamentals; and
- An understanding of leadership principles and attitudes
Laboratories or facilities
Laboratories or facilities fully functional currently available
- Construction Materials Laboratory
- Highway Engineering Laboratory
- Hydraulics Laboratory
- Geotechnical Engineering laboratory
- Computer Laboratories
- Surveying laboratory
- Workshop practice laboratory
- Environmental Engineering labs will be full field in the coming years
Partnerships and Collaborations
- Amhara regional Roads Authority
The department has three chairs started in 2006; namely
- Structural engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Highway engineering
Bachelor of Science in civil Engineering (undergraduate regular)
Students’ statistics in Undergraduate in regular and extension program
|Year – I||Year – II||Year – III||Year -IV||Year -V|
- Computer science
The BSc in Computer Science program of the Department has been running since 2004. The current average yearly intake capacity in the regular program is
The Department of Computer Science is currently running a newly revised four-year BSc program for both regular and extension programs. The Department offers several service courses in Computer Science each semester to several hundreds of students of the six faculties in debre Tabor University.
The Department uses six computer laboratories in the faculty with a total of more than 210computers. These laboratories are used to conduct practical works for degree program, and the evening computer science program.
|Year – I||Year – II||Year – III||Year -IV|
The vision of the Department is to be a leading academic unit in the provision of quality education in Computer Science, and to be a focal point for the advancement of Computer Science research, innovation, and dissemination of valuable knowledge in line with the development endeavors of the country.
The Department’s missions are:
- to provide quality education within the rapidly evolving areas of Computer Science,
- to conduct research in Computer Science and its application areas, and
- to provide professional services to the community in the field of Computer Science
The Department values:
- team-work and cooperative spirit between and within instructors and students,
- attaining highest recognition in teaching and research in Computer Science,
- academic honesty and respect for others as well as democratic and participatory methods of decision-making,
- maintaining the highest ethical and professional standards, and
- providing quality education in an equitable and accessible manner.
Based on the vision of the department, the objectives of the Department are to:
- run Computer Science programs to undergraduate, graduate and continuing education students in order to attain the training needs of the country in the domain,
- offer Computer Science service courses to other Departments of the University,
- periodically review and revise the curricula of courses provided by the Department to cope with the dynamic nature of the field of Computer Science and to address the current development needs of the country,
- devise and enforce quality assurance strategies,
- organize well-equipped laboratories for all the programs run by the Department to aid the teaching/learning process,
- create sense of entrepreneurship of students,
- provide special attention to female and academically weaker students to ensure their success,
- formulate an integrated research framework for the Department and identify appropriate research projects for graduate students and staff and make regular supervision,
- initiate multidisciplinary research collaborations and conduct same,
- present and publish research results in appropriate national/international journals and conferences,
- create academic-industry linkage so that students acquire the necessary knowledge and skill in solving real-world problems to address local needs,
- coordinate and conduct seminars, workshops, and conferences on relevant areas of Computer Science,
- create partnership with the private and public sectors, similar institutions locally and abroad,
- provide professional consultancy and advisory services in Computer Science applications and related areas,
- conduct advanced and professional short-term courses to upgrade the skills of practitioners so as to cope with the fast-growing development in the field of Computer Science.
- collect, organize, and avail information and knowledge in different areas of Computer Science to students, faculty members, and the society at large,
- create conducive working environment for staff, and devise and implement staff development mechanisms.
- Electrical and Computer engineering
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is established in the year 2004 and used to offer five years Undergraduate Degree Program in Electrical Engineering and computer. Bachelor’s degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering with four focus streams – Communication, Power Electronics, Computer Engineering and Industrial Control Engineering is offered now. The staff of the department is highly motivated towards academic and research achievements. The entire staff of the department is involved in research to solve the problems of the society.
The mission of the program is to provide the highest quality education for students in the electrical and computer engineering. The excellence of the program is ensured by our department’s high regard for teaching, research activities and industrial ties. The program educates students to take leadership roles in industry, academia and government.
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Power Engineering
- Control Engineering
Fully functional Labs available currently are:
- Power Engineering Lab
- Communication Engineering lab
- Computer Engineering Lab
- Control Engineering Lab
- Instrumentation lab
- Electrical workshop I and II
- Fundamentals Lab
- Basic Electrical/ Electronic Engineering lab
- computers loaded with various operating systems computing lab
|Year – I||Year – II||Year – III||Year -IV||Year -V|
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Department of Mechanical Engineering has been established in 2005 E.C. Now, the Mechanical Engineering Department is one of the seven programs under the technology faculty of Debre Tabor University
The department is one of the most active department in the university involved in a variety of research and projects. The department is conducting research and projects in different thematic areas with the main once are Product Design and Development, Energy and Farm Technology.
The department has conducted a series of academic and administrative structural reforms to improve its services with emphasis on teaching learning services, improved community service and research & innovation. As part of the reform, the department academic activities are now decentralized from the former “Department Head centered” activities into Chair Systems.
The Chair system will enable to decentralize all academic activities including staff development, infrastructure development, course development and offering and research and projects.
In summary, the Mechanical Engineering department is thriving, making significant contributions to research, education and many other aspects of society.
The department will continue to prosper its activities in academics, research & Developments and community services. The department would like to express its interest to work with regional, national and international institutions in the areas of Mechanical Engineering.
- Design Engineering
- Thermal and energy Engineering
- Industrial and Manufacturing engineering
- Automotive engineering
Labs available currently and full functional
- Material Testing Lab
- Engineering Mechanics Laboratory
- Computer Lab
- Energy Lab will be fulfilled in 2009.
- Automotive Lab will be fulfilled in 2009
- Machine Shop.
- Sheet Metal Shop.
- Foundry Shop.
- Wood work Shop.
- Welding Lab.
- Metrology laboratory etc.
- Thermal laboratory will be fulfilled in 2009
- Fluid and Turbo Machinery Lab. will be fulfilled in 2009
|Year – I||Year – II||Year – III||Year -IV|
- DEPARTMENT OF HYDRAULICS AND WATER RESOURCE ENGINEERING
The hydraulic and water resource engineering undergraduate program was launched in 2005E.C
The Hydraulic and Water Resource Engineering program aspires to be a regional center of excellence in water technology studies. The current curriculum has been revised several times in order to include new subjects, teachingapproach and the skilled manpower requirement of the nation in specific subject areas. According tothe current education policy students from high school, who have completed ten plus two (10+2) yearsof preparatory and have passed the entrance exams are directly admitted to the Hydraulic and WaterResources Engineering department, thereby making the study duration for five years.
Ethiopia is endowed with significant amount of water resources. The optimum utilization of these resources requires trained professionals in this specialized field of civil engineering. Although hydraulic and water resource engineering professionals can be trained at graduate level, such a training requires long duration a higher costs.On the other hand, the fight against perversity cannot be won without sufficient and reliable supply ofcheap electricity. Hence, hydropower development as a cheap, reliable and environmental friendlysource of energy is preferred over other sources of energy. The Hydraulic and water resourceengineering undergraduate program was commenced to produce professional in the field who can plan,design, construct and operate hydropower schemes in a relatively short duration and lower costs.
Vision and Mission of the program
Hydraulic and Water Resource Engineering program aspires to be a centre of excellence in the field ofwater resources in Africa and competitive in the world by 2020.
Hydraulic and Water Resource Engineering program has a mission of offering relevant and quality education and training; conducting demand driven research and rendering accessible community services.
The Hydraulic and Water Resource Engineering program shall have the following goals;
- Ensure the quality of education and training in water technology
- Advance research and consultancy works in water Technology
- Improve services to the community
- Develop a conducive environment for learning and teaching
Objectives of the Program
- This program is aimed at training manpower required for the realization of the country’s vast hydropower and water resources potential.
- Well-qualified Hydraulic Engineers will be produced throughthis program who can actively be engaged in the planning; design; development and management ofwater resources projects; emphasis being given to hydropower projects. Specifically, the trainees willbe equipped with the knowledge that enables them to execute the following tasks:Undertake project identification; pre-feasibility and feasibility studies of water resources projects;
- with emphasis on hydropower projects;Plan water resources and hydropower projects; and design hydraulic structures required for hydropower systems, water supply systems, Irrigation systems and structures which are relatedwith environmental protection works; Prepare complete contract documents for water resources projects like hydropower projects, watersupply projects, Irrigation projects, and projects which are related with environmental protection
- works like waste water and solid waste management ; Plan, design and manage and supervise the construction of hydraulic and hydropower structuresand related civil engineering works;
- Plan, design, manage, monitor and evaluate the operation and maintenance of hydraulic andhydropower systems;
- Remodeling and rehabilitation of existing water supply, hydraulic and hydropower
TEACHING LEARNING METHODS AND MATERIALS
The mode of instruction is mainly supported by active learning practices (student centered approach) supported by lectures, holding tutorial sessions, conducting laboratory demonstrations, field practice and visit.
The staff profile is composed of Ph.D., M.Sc., B.Sc. holders and Technical Assistants. The department has fully equipped Hydraulic Laboratory which serves to demonstrate most of the departmentcourses, research and consultancy services. In addition, the civil, electrical and mechanical engineeringcourse of the department is also supported by Soil Mechanics Laboratory, Construction Material Laboratory, Surveying Laboratory, Electrical and Mechanical Workshops.
|Year – I||Year – II||Year – III||Year -IV|
Department of information technology
It was established in 2008 to do its best in delivering the highest quality professional education to our students. We believe that richly intertwined programs of instruction, research, and community engagement expose our students to innovative ideas, novel approaches, and the potential of new technologies. Yet the pace of change in both social organizations and information technology is such that the department must also provide life-long learning opportunities to established information professionals. We do this through our continuing education programs.
|Program||Year – I|
Engineering capacity building program – one component of the program is establishing new universities across the country so as to alleviate critical shortage of qualified manpower in engineering fields. Moreover, the prevailing economic situation in Ethiopia and the sustained growth, especially in the industrial sector, demand to produce competent and skillful graduates.
Upon admission to the universities, the students are allowed to take some fundamental engineering knowledge and common courses – from the total five year B.Sc. program. Hence, Debre Tabor University- Technology Faculty uses the first year of the program to conduct fundamental engineering courses and prepare the students to examine their interest for the discipline. Moreover, there is an assessment semester, just before students choose their area of specialization; a 2-credit course is given to introduce the engineering profession as a whole and to give the students the opportunity to deal with the basic technical skills for each discipline. Therefore, the office of Pre-engineering organizes and co-ordinates the orientation program to students before they join their permanent departments.